Happy American Thanksgiving!

My thanksgiving is a bit odd this year. Its a pretty normal day. Lecture, work duties, intercession, outreach prep, small groups...its a normal Thursday. No turkey or stuffing. No football. No Macy's Day Parade. But in spite of it all I am so thankful. SO thankful. I don't really miss the American holidays. No Halloween was actually quite wonderful! I'm actually, dare I say, quite content without Thanksgiving (well...minus the whole not being with family. That definitely sucks.) But in honor of thanksgiving I thought I would share with you all some of the things I am thankful for here in Oxford (and consequently things I will miss in the coming months...) because it is always good to be thankful :) "Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18
1. Construction signs with giant exclamation points on them. Seriously they crack me up every time. I tried to find a picture online but was unsuccessful. So just imagine. Huge orange diamond sign with a GIANT bubble exclamation point. haha
2. Other people driving. The whole driving on the left side of the road thing still messes me up. I still don't look the right way when crossing the streets. I still attempt to get into the driver's seat thinking its the passenger seat. I'm so grateful other people are driving...I'm pretty sure if I was driving we would have been in at least one accident thus far.
3. Will Reagan. One of many worship artists I've been introduced to here. By far, my favorite. Here's a little taste

4. The Prayer Room. I love having a place of worship. No shoes. No agendas. Just prayer. It is beautifully holy.
5. Lara. Not only is she an amazing cook who has been incredibly accommodating when it comes to people like me with weird eating habits but she has the best sense of humor, she loves Jesus more than anyone I know, she has been a great person to hang out with every morning for work duties, she speaks truth into my life, she always points me back to Jesus, she has a heart for missions, and she is an amazing friend. AND She's British (which means she gets 10 extra points for having a sweet accent). But really. I have been truly blessed to know her.
6. Sweet as. Its a common phrase here. Like when something is good instead of saying "awesome" or "cool" or whatever you say, you say "sweet as." At first I thought everyone was swearing...and then I found it slightly annoying...and now I say it. haha You can also say any descriptive word (cool, gnarly, dopey, etc.) with as after it. A trustee here on the base said dopey as yesterday. I nearly peed myself. She's so precious.
7. Getting mail. I absolutely love getting letters and cards. I don't know why. There's just something about the tangible expression of encouragement that makes me smile every time I get a letter.
8. Mountains. Oceans. Rivers. Gorges. Hills. New Zealand landscape. I see God's handiwork everywhere. New Zealand is honestly one of the most beautiful places on the planet. No joke.
9. The All Blacks-Never have I seen a country so dedicated to one sports team. I love it!
10. Google Voice. (Liz :) Enough said.)
11. A limited wardrobe. Many people here despise the fact that they have so few clothes. I find it incredibly freeing!! It gives me the opportunity to be creative with my clothing and an excuse to wear my favorite clothes a lot :) Plus it just makes you aware of how excessive we are with clothing. Honestly, no one needs more than a suitcase full of clothes.
12. Awesome friends. I have met so many wonderful people here and have been so blessed by each one of their friendships. I'm just not going to think about the fact that we only have a month left together here on base.
13. Trampoline. I love the trampoline. This may not make sense to many of you. But my absolute favorite way to worship is to jump on the trampoline and sing/listen to worship music. I just have a blast with God!
14. Teddy grahams with your coffee at Cafe 51. Seriously America...we definitely do better with the whole flavor in coffee thing...but where are the teddy grahams or fudge or marshmallows with my latte?
15. Skype! Technology makes being away from home so much easier. I love getting on to see my little cousin sing "Zaccheus was a wee little man...". Or my parents smiling. Or my best friends joking around. Its awesome :) (PS-my skype name is kkulchar...)
16. Anytime toast. There is always bread available for toasting. Butter. Cinnamon sugar. I've been reacquainted with a childhood love. How sweet it is!
17. My supporters. I am truly blessed by each person who prays, gives financially, sends encouragement, etc. It is such a privilege to have each one of you behind me! I amazed each and every day by the people who God has brought into my life. Ah. I just love you guys!!!
18. I have ALLLLLL my funds!!!!! In case you didn't read the last post...haha
19. Most importantly God. I'm not being cliche when I say that. I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know him better in this season. The more I know Him, the more I realize I don't know. But the closer I get to Him, the more I realize He is all that I need. Words are not adequate to describe my thankfulness for Him and for the gift of sacrifice he has given for me and for the whole world through Jesus. Ah. He's awesome.
Peace, love, thankfulness, and turkey!!! :)

Comments

Popular Posts