The Scoop.

When I think of scoop, I think of ice cream. And ice cream goes with cake. And I just got a free cake ball (called a petite) at Starbucks. March 10-12 from 2-5pm they are FREE. You should get one too. They're delicious.

BUT that's completely off topic. I just wanted to give you all the scoop on what I'm going to be doing next year.
Okay so first of all I'm going to be working with an organization called YWAM (pronounce why-wam! and if you read it backwards it says mawy. like maui. in hawaii. i wish i was in hawaii. Its freeeeezing!). The organization was founded by this super awesome guy named Loren Cunninham. He's been to EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY IN THE WORLD! Can you imagine? Oh. My. Gosh. He's my hero just for that. But on top of that, he's an amazing man of God. Which makes him my double hero (Is that possible??) And he founded Youth With A Mission. Triple hero. Haha.
There are bases all around the world and they help train people of all ages (but mostly youth) to be missionaries! Typically bases have a training program called a discipleship training school (DTS). Once you do a DTS then you can become a full time YWAMer. Because I have been getting a degree in missions the past four years of my life, I decided that I didn't want to do a normal DTS for fear that it would be a repeat of a lot of information I already know. And God has been putting the issue of sex trafficking on my heart a lot throughout the past year. I have done some research on the topic and the more I learn, the more my heart hurts for those women and children, and the more my heart hurts, the more I know that God is calling me to work in a ministry that fights against that injustice. Alas, I stumbled across a JusticeDTS that YWAM puts on in Auckland, New Zealand. I applied and (by God's grace) was accepted to join the team.
So here is what I will be doing.
In September I'll fly over to New Zealand and go through 12 weeks of training. The training will be specifically designed to teach us about mission work in justice issues. In addition, I'll be staying at a backpacker's place (like a hostile) and working in some of the local ministries. They have three different ministries. 1-Serves meals to homeless people. 2-Helps organize and lead short term mission trips to several of the Pacific Islands. 3-Helps build/fix homes in the area. In addition, it is during this time that I'll get to know my outreach team and get to build relationships with people from around the world who are passionate about the same issues. And, of course, we'll get to do a little sightseeing. AKA backpacking and camping in the beautiful land of Middle Earth...I mean New Zealand haha.
Here is a little taste:

After my training, I will be assigned to one of several different outreach locations (India, Thailand, Cambodia, Vanuatu, Turkey, just to name a few of the possibilities). It is there that I will get to really have the Lord open my eyes and hopefully my skills and passions will be put to use in helping to end the injustices of the world. That sounds lofty. It's not meant to. I just really want to do all I can to promote justice in whatever part of the world the Lord takes me.
Upon completion I'll return to NZ for a short debriefing and then head back to the States where only the Lord knows what will happen next. 
I'm so excited!!! :)
Peace and love!

Comments

  1. Hey Katie, its Megan Dietrich, old Flushing friend of Jenny's. I was getting updated on your blog and what you are up to and was thinking about you because I am in Thailand right now working in Phuket with human trafficking. I've been on a trip (the World Race - megandietrich.theworldrace.org) for the past 10 months traveling to different countries and serving the Lord in various ways. I've stopped at YWAM bases along the way and been able to meet and talk with some of the missionaries. I'm very excited for you and the adventure the Lord is sending you on. Make sure to keep blogging, its a gift for your supporters but also for you when you go home (wherever that is). Looking forward to hearing more. Bring the KINGDOM!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts