lack of communication.

I want to apologize for my lack of communication the past few weeks. We haven't had internet since New Year's Eve and its difficult enough to keep updated on email while borrowing other people's computers let alone updating on here. So I apologize!
Life in the Middle East has definitely been interesting so far. It has quite cold and rainy (not exactly the desert weather you think of when you think of the Middle East haha), but I would rather be cold than hot so I am not complaining. Our team has been teaching English and volunteering with some other organizations as well as spending time with different friends we have met here. Unfortunately our opportunities have been limited because many organizations have been closed for the holiday season. The last Christmas celebration is this week so our schedule will definitely get busier! We have also decided to do our own project on the side to help us learn about the culture and to make something tangible to share with everyone back home. The goal is to make a short documentary and/or a book presenting an unbiased (or as unbiased as we can...) view of the conflict taking place here. Not only do we have some awesome ideas, but we are learning so much about what is going on here in the process. I can't wait to share the finished project with you all!
The culture is definitely different. Girls aren't allowed to make eye contact with men and women do not have as much authority as men. I'm still adjusting to the fact that technically 10 year boys have more authority than I do, but am learning a lot about humility in the process. :) Our housing situation has been a bit complicated and a lot of people on our team have been experiencing sleepless nights and nightmares. We've been pr@ying for freedom from that and are hoping to make some changes to our housing situation this weekend. Please keep us in your thoughts and pray that Dad gives us wisdom about what doors we should walk through.
Papa's peace and love :)
And some pictures...
The market!

Annemieke, Sonya, and I relaxing in the city :)

New Year's Eve. Sonya and I eating cotton candy from the back of some guy's car...it was only about 25 cents! :)

Getting to hold a beautiful baby boy at a family that we met on the street's home.

Comments

  1. Oh Katie, I miss your lovely face. I'm glad you got a chance to update, I'll be praying for peaceful sleep for your team. We miss all of you so much! I'm already counting down the days until debrief when we all get to see each other again. We were able to do a trafficking prevention drama at a school this week for the lowest cast of kids or "untouchables" it was definitely the highlight of my trip so far. Katelyn and I were able to present it afterward. Ainsley and I were really sick for about a week, I wrote a sermon, but haven't delivered it yet because I had to stay home from church. I can't wait to hear more about your trip. Love you!
    -Megan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts